Sunday, February 3, 2013

avidvdburner, certified-toolbar and malware

avidvdburner will install the malware certified-toolbar on your machine without even asking your permission at least on Windows XP.

After I payed $29 and registered avidvdburner, I noticed that my laptop was overheating and looked at the task manager and a program named setup.exe was using the cpu. Then my browsers home page were high jacked.

I was able to un install it via the control panel. But I think my laptop is now compromised.

This was confirmed by Andrew Thomson from avidvdburner support.

On top of that the menu feature that was the reason I decided to buy the software sucks. I feel I have been "ripped off".

Every time I will upgrade the software it will re install 
the malware certified-toolbar.

Do not buy avidvdburner.


1 comment:

  1. Well, I've never heard of avidvdburner, must be good if you payed $29 :) except for misleading marketing practices. As for certified-toolbar, it's not malicious, potentially unwanted at worse. And I don't think that your laptop is compromised just because of certified toolbar. You can read my post about certified toolbar I wrote a few months ago. It's not that dangerous. After all, it's just a toolbar. Scanning your laptop with Malwarebytes wouldn't hurt tho ;)

    Michael

    ReplyDelete